Aging Unbound: A Celebration of Older Americans
The theme of this year’s Older Americans Month is “Aging Unbound,” which offers an opportunity to explore diverse aging experiences and promote flexible thinking about aging, and how we all benefit when older adults remain engaged, independent, and included. Today, there are more than 46 million older adults aged 65 and older living in the U.S., and it is projected that by 2030, one in five Americans will be over 65.
“As the number of older adults is rapidly growing, social service agencies will need to provide more assistance to seniors in remaining active and independent,” said Susan Belgrade, JFSLA Senior Director of Multipurpose and Senior Centers. “At JFSLA, social workers address complex healthcare needs, help with financial challenges by connecting clients to community and governmental resources, and address psychological needs. Our centers provide socialization programs and support to older adults and their families and caregivers.”
JFSLA provides resources and a variety of programs to our aging Angeleno community to help them live happier and healthier lives, such as wellness and engagement programs, social services, care management, free meals, social connection programs, and special services for survivors of the Holocaust at our several multipurpose centers throughout LA. JFSLA also advocates for the aging community on the local, city, state, and national level. Our services for LA’s aging population are extensive:
- At JFSLA’s Senior and Multipurpose Centers, seniors can make an appointment with a social worker, obtain information and referrals to community resources, get assistance in completing forms, applying for government benefits, receive case management, join wellness and engagement activities and classes, and enjoy a hot meal at our congregate dining sites.
- The JFSLA Arts, Wellness, and Engagement (AWE) program offers classes for older adults both in-person and online. Each week, older adults participate in AWE Activities and classes, including fitness, arts, cooking, live music, and educational programs. This month, in celebration of Older Americans Month, the AWE team provided special events such as a showing of a film featuring a 100-year-old toy maker followed by Q&A with the director, Honor Our LGBT+ Elders Day in partnership with the LGBT Center of LA, Mother’s Day events, and more.
- The JFSLA Senior Nutrition Program serves free, hot meals each week at our senior dining centers and delivers meals to homebound seniors and people with disabilities living throughout Los Angeles. These meals are all made from scratch at our Hirsh Family Kosher Kitchen.
- The JFSLA Survivors of the Holocaust Program provides in-home care, emergency financial assistance, social worker support, and other vital services to survivors of the Holocaust. In addition, JFSLA offers Café Europa, a social connection program held weekly where survivors can connect with each other and enjoy live music.
- JFS Care, JFSLA’s home care division, provides the highest quality private homecare and private care management. Whether you need a little assistance once in a while or full-time care, JFS Care can help with meal preparation, housekeeping, personal care (bathing, dressing, ambulating, feeding, etc.), and companionship.
- The Homeless Prevention Program provides clients aged 55 and older living with a hoarding disorder with mental health counseling, intensive care management, and concrete support. The program helps with storage and moving costs and links clients to legal assistance or legal aid to prevent eviction.
- The JFS Transportation Program provides free rides to medical appointments, grocery stores, pharmacies, JFSLA centers, and more to adults 65 and older who live within our service area.
JFSLA supports the aging community in Los Angeles every day. Our extensive programs and resources promote a healthier, engaging, independent, and happier life for older adults. If you or someone you know could benefit from these services, please visit jfsla.org/aging or call 877-275-4537.